Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Adventures in Vientiane

Vientiane is turning out to be quite the fun place. As soon as I got used to the idea of dripping wet everywhere I went, Carla and I joined in the party. We ventured down to the river where all the locals bathed in their clothes, along with a few brave tourists, and there were food stall set up on the bank. The last day of partying died down around 6pm, and we ventured back to our guesthouse to have a much needed shower and change of clothes, only to be soaked one last time by the staff as we ran up the driveway. We got there only to find there was no water. All the water throwing had drained our tank and we had to wait a couple of hours before going out to our lovely Easter dinner. We found a very popular restaurant and had the closest thing to turkey dinner we could: mashed potatoes, chicken with gravy and vegetables....Delicious.

We had a great night, after ordering a jug of Lao's version of Sangria, Lao Gria which tasted kind of like cough syrup, and met a couple Aussie's, Paul and Andrew on vacation at the bar. We ended up closing the place down and went to bed exited to maximize the offer of a swimming pool from Paul the next day. So nice, the weather here has just started to get hot again after three days of rain, and with perfect timing. Such a great day we had lounging and drinking by the pool, in good company, and having a dip to ward off the heat.

After our first 6 hours of drinking we were still feeling pretty good on our feet, and ventured out to dinner. We ended up closing the bar again, and venturing via tuk tuk to a well hidden, and very popular afterhours bar. Everything closes down at 11:30 here, which is obviously too early for Carla and I, but there is always an afterhours lurking if you look for it. The night before we just happened upon the life of the party at a small pub around the corner from our hotel, and hoped on the back of the bikes of a self described lady-boy, Helen and her two gay-boy friends. So fun, we ended up at a grand hotel afterhours, where everyone was dressed to the nine's and it felt like a unpopular barmitzvah with so few people dancing in the dry ice in such a large room.

Anyhow, this afterhours was quite small and after trying to yell our conversations to each other for a while, we decided to buy the necessary bottle of JD, pepsi, ice, glasses and all, and return to the pool. I felt like such a delinquent sneaking in, but turns out, they actually let adults stay up all night and drink in the pool, no hopping fences for this one. We finally just crawled home after redefining the word prune, and Carla is very intelligently sleeping off her hang over as I try to get on with my day (its about 11am). I should really join her.

So off to the roller rink / bowling alley we go tonight to do it old school style. we are so excited.

later all, R

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy Canadians...

I have returned home to Australia which is as wet as a New Year in Vientiane...but for a completley different reason.

Since my return I have also enrolled in a local synchronized swimming team and bought a noseclip and bathing cap which should improve my technique even further.

The rest of my new team mates looked somewhat dismayed at my chosen attire of underpants in the pool but I explained that it was a fashion that I picked up in Asia that will be in Australia shortly. I always wish to lead the way in fashion.

Please send me an e-mail contact address to enable me to keep you updated of my progress in the pool.

Your new buddy.

Paul of the Pool
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn and carla
I am in Luang Prabang and its a beautiful place. Unfortunately there is nothing to do here so I am reading a lot and not drinking at all as I have only just recovered from our partying together. I am at the Mouang Louang Hotel, and yes it has a pool. I am here until wednesday then off to Phnomphen via siam riep via Vientiane. Poast me an email if you want to catch up. chocco65@netspace.net.au
I hope all is well and you aren't causing too much havoc
cheers
andrew

Unknown said...

c9s48l9t28 x9x02k0f54 v3g40s8v37 f0w34c8y34 w1k52e8z15 v1a22m8y90