Wednesday, April 19, 2006

No more Tequila!

So after a very long afternoon nap yeasterday, Carla and I were once again ready to face the world. We had our hearts set on roller-skating, but of course we set to drinking instead as tequila was on special at the bar. 10,000kip a shot, about 1$USD. So we met Paul and Andrew at the Pub. Paul being our very own first place syncronized swimming champion, and owner of an advertising and events agency in Melbourne who kept us laughing for days. And Andrew a un-corrupted country boy, also from Australia who is thinking of ditching his job for a life in Vientiane. And for some unkown reasons came all the way to Laos for a month vacation to a hotel with a pool, without a bathing suit. I personally think its just an excuse to swim in his briefs which are color co-ordinated to the days of the week. This is actually something we've found since being overseas, men swimming in their boxers and breifs and thinking they are getting a way with it undetected. Not a chance guys!

We managed to get to the bowling alley for some good old fashion competition, and were sweated out of the sport after an hour, as the aircon was on the fritz, and headed to the disco next door. Of course all this was not enough of an evening for us, and we scaled the gate into our guesthouse (they lock everything up here as all is open-air and therefore not too secure) to retrieve the cheap vodka (like 2 dollars cheap) we have on reserve to enjoy yet another poolside drink.

So off PG go home and adventuring north respectively, as Carla and I continue to exist in limbo, in lovely Vientiane refusing to get on another bus, for another 16 hours. Our Aussie friends Dave and Lisa are flying in tomorrow, and so we will see what kind of trouble we can kick up with them...we'll let you know.

-R

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crazy Canadians...

I have returned home to Australia which is as wet as a New Year in Vientiane...but for a completley different reason.

Since my return I have also enrolled in a local synchronized swimming team and bought a noseclip and bathing cap which should improve my technique even further.

The rest of my new team mates looked somewhat dismayed at my chosen attire of underpants in the pool but I explained that it was a fashion that I picked up in Asia that will be in Australia shortly. I always wish to lead the way in fashion.

Please send me an e-mail contact address to enable me to keep you updated of my progress in the pool.

Your new buddy.

Paul of the Pool
xx